Mintty is a terminal emulator
- Xterm-compatible terminal emulation.
- 256 colours and True-Colour support.
- Comprehensive character encoding support, including UTF-8.
- Wide character display and Windows IME support.
- SIXEL graphics display support.
- Fullscreen mode.
- Easy copy & paste.
- Drag & drop of text, files and folders.
- Ability to open files and URLs with Ctrl+click.
- Colour schemes / Theme file support.
- Window transparency, including glass effect.
- Native Windows user interface with a simple options dialog.
- Options stored in a text file. No registry entries.
- Small program size and quick scrolling.
Mintty works on all Windows versions from Windows 2000 onwards.
Similarly to other Cygwin/MSYS terminals based on
pseudo terminal ("pty") devices, however,
mintty is not a full replacement for the Windows Console window
(by default running the Windows Command Processor / command prompt / cmd.exe).
While native console programs with simple text output usually work fine,
interactive programs often have
although sometimes there are workarounds.
The Cygwin package ships with a manual page that can be accessed with
Invoking mintty with the
--help option shows a summary of available command line options.
See the Wiki
for information on keycodes, control sequences and other
In Cygwin, it is installed as the default "Cygwin Terminal".
For MSYS (old), select the msys-mintty package in the installer.
(Or from MinGW, install the package with
mingw-get install mintty.)
For MSYS2, mintty is installed by default, or it can be installed later
with the command
pacman -S mintty.
Repository and Download
The source code
The Release Archive
for older packages.
current snapshot download.
Bugs and Enhancements
Please report bugs or suggest enhancements via the issue tracker.
General Cygwin questions should be sent to the Cygwin mailing list,
preferably after subscribing the list.
Bugs that were reported to the previous repository at
before June, 2015, have been migrated here.
- Mind! Before reporting an issue about character interaction with an application,
please check the issue also with at least one other terminal (xterm, urxvt),
and maybe the Cygwin Console.
If you consider to suggest a patch or contribute to mintty otherwise,
discuss your proposal in an issue first, or on the Cygwin mailing list,
or with the maintainer.
- Repository policy: No unsolicited pull requests!
Mintty is based on code from PuTTY 0.60 by Simon Tatham and team.
The program icon comes from KDE's Konsole.
Mintty ties directly into Cygwin/MSYS and leaves out PuTTY's networking functionality,
which is provided by packages such as openssh and inetutils instead.
A number of PuTTY issues have been addressed (see Wiki).